How NOT to have hair that resembles a scarecrow ...



I got my hair done a few weeks ago, as in I got it dyed, which I haven't had done since 2k11. So I was nervous, I was doubtful and I was scared I'd regret getting back into the hair colouring game. And I can gladly report that this isn't the case, I ofc had a freak out once back in my car after the hours spent in the hair dressers chair. As my natural brunette locks were now multi tonal and blonde! Ahhhhhhhhh!


The reason I stopped dying my hair was because of the countless times I'd been disappointed, maybe I'll do a hair story post on here and divulge all of my shoddy tales. But I took control back when I was 19 and thought no more, I'm going au natural. But fast forward 5 years there were no tears, no tantrums and no terrible account of a shit job. He (my hairdresser) didn't take too much of my length, he framed my face like I asked and the colour and blending was impeccable ... After years of sporting a boring/ safe mousey brown it was time to make a change!

I got ballyage highlights which I adore, I think it makes the colour look a lot more natural and less dramatic. However there was something I just couldn't put my finger on, I liked my hair like really really liked it, but I didn't love it, - and then when I saw a snap of my friends ballyage, and the stars aligned for me and I realised it was my tone/ shade of blonde, I wanted it more ashy. 

To this new revelation I began my research and was thrown into the world of colour correction and here I stumbled across, stripping, toning and purple shampoo. Now stripping seemed far too extreme and I am happy with my colour, removing it isn't what I wanted. Toning seemed a little too technical for me, and being a colour correction novice this is something I didn't want to embark on, on my own. So the safest and more DIY appropriate option for me was, purple shampoo.

I went to boots with the intention of buying L'Oreal's Professionnel Serie Expert Silver Shampoo but this particular store didn't have it and I was impatient, so I began my search down the aisles. I went with the Bleached London Silver Shampoo, as some of my friends have gorgeous red and purple hair and they use and love Bleached London products. Also in my research I read a post by Kristen Ess from her blog The Beauty Department and she discuses purple shampoo and in this she gives you a check list about the quality of your purple shampoo and she states it should be:

•a thick consistency•a deep purple almost violet colour

As I said before I have ballyage so I didn't use the purple shampoo at my roots just on the hair which had been bleached. I used a palm sized amount and lathered my hair as I would any other shampoo. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and although it was dripping (my hair was wet) I was amazed at how much product had stuck to my hair as so much purple was washed out when I rinsed the shampoo. I continued with my own conditioner and blow dried my hair as normal I did see a slight lift in colour and was really excited about this. So the next day I wet my hair and sectioned it and used the shampoo as I had done previously but this time as I said in sections and left it for around 25 mins. And I can really see a difference, gone are the brassy colours and in their place are lovely cool/ silver/ ashy tones of blondes. And I couldn't be happier. I'll continue using the purple shampoo to help maintain the colour, if you go and read Kirsten's post and I recommend you do, she states being a blonde means constant maintenance. 

The product itself was £6 from Boots, which I don't think is too bad. But then if you do decide to use it every wash and you wash your hair a lot, I can see it gets expensive ... But it's cheaper than going to get your colour maintained at the hair dressers, and I do believe if we maintain at home fewer colour appointments will need to be made. I think I'm going to plan on using it every other wash, and use something really nourishing in between. Apparently if your hair is silver/ peroxide you shouldn't use it often and you shouldn't let it sit for long as the purple colour can run and you can end up with a lilac tint. So be mindful.

I have an all white bathroom and it got up the tiles on my shower wall, it got on the bath and it got on the shelf I keep all my products on, and I will admit my heart sank seeing my pure white bathroom dosed in this blue/ violet purple colour, but I can happily report it wipes away easily and leaves no stains. It smells lovely and washes out really easily, my hair was left feeling clean and light, considering the thickness of the shampoo. 
I am now converted, I think every blonde despite tone or shade should use a purple shampoo to eliminate brassy tones. I'm so happy and pleased with the outcome, I'm kicking myself I didn't do it as soon as I got my hair done. Give it a go and go spread the word! 

Frankie

0 comments:

Post a Comment